[poppler] Cairo Backend for Qt Wrapper

Paul Gideon Dann pdgiddie at googlemail.com
Wed Jun 24 01:44:20 PDT 2009

On Wednesday 24 June 2009 00:02:44 Albert Astals Cid wrote:
> Right they do different and i can agree the second looks somewhat better,
> still my local Splash copy renders different than yours and looks a bit
> like the Cairo one, don't ask me why.

That is very interesting.  Maybe it's a configuration thing?  I'm on
ArchLinux, which usually ships packages with default configuration.  Maybe
your distro has done some clever tweaking to FreeType / FontConfig to improve
things?  I'd be interested in a screenshot, if you could spare one.

> Your experience with packagers is different than mine.

I guess so. I know that many KDE people have complained that not enough bug
reports & patches are sent upstream from the large distros (e.g. Ubuntu,
OpenSUSE, Fedora).  However, I may be ill-informed, so I defer to your far
more extensive experience :)

> To a degree yes, but adding Cairo to the Qt4 frontend is a choice i don't
> feel like giving at the moment, sorry.
>
> Feel free to have your own poppler git repo with your patches.

OK, well you're in charge and the decision is of course yours to make.  I know
you're very busy right now, so I won't hassle you any further :)

Thanks for your time,
Paul