[poppler] autotools and poppler 0.10.4

Albert Astals Cid aacid at kde.org
Sun Mar 8 17:06:15 PDT 2009

A Dilluns, 9 de març de 2009, carlo.bramix va escriure:
> Hello!
>
> > Apparently if you generate a configure file on unix
> > from configure.in with a recent autoconf, it
> > does not produce a configure script that works on
> > MINGW+MSYS.
>
> I just rebuild the configure scripts under Debian 5.0 (stable, not testing
> or unstable) with colinux and everything works fine when I compile under
> mingw+msys.
>
> Although all my efforts, I was never able to make autotools working under
> msys. Instead, autotools under cygwin normally worked fine but, for some
> reasons that I could not understand very well, I remember that I had some
> troubles with CR-LF somewhere. So I decided to (re)build the scripts under
> linux: in that manner I'm sure that everything is correct in every part.
>
> I downloaded Poppler 0.10.4.
> I deleted generated files.
> I rebuild the scripts and the makefiles.
> I compiled and installed poppler. Success.
>
> autogen.sh under linux said:
>
> autoconf 2.61
> automake 1.10.1
> libtool 1.5.26
>
> These packages are not that old, perhaps you have really "too new"
> packages. I believe it would be better to rebuild the scripts with a stable
> distribution, at least we are sure that it will work on everything.
> Anyways, at the moment I believe it is a good idea to leave the
> AC_LIBTOOL_WIN32_DLL macro included into configure script, this will ensure
> the compatibility with the old, with the stable and the testing/unstable.
> Personally, I believe that forcing it is a regression because lot of
> software have not it declared in their configure scripts but they could be
> already compiled as shared without problems, but this is just my opinion.

It's an autotools regression/feature, if you look a bit around the internet
you'll see the mingw people complaining to the autotools people (i think the
"problem" is really in libtool) for the change.

BTW i'm now using
 autoconf 2.61
 automake 1.10.1
 libtool 2.2.4