[poppler] autotools and poppler 0.10.4

Vincent Torri vtorri at univ-evry.fr
Sun Mar 8 23:36:30 PDT 2009

On Mon, 9 Mar 2009, Albert Astals Cid wrote:

> A Dilluns, 9 de març de 2009, carlo.bramix va escriure:
>> Hello!
>>
>>> Apparently if you generate a configure file on unix
>>> from configure.in with a recent autoconf, it
>>> does not produce a configure script that works on
>>> MINGW+MSYS.
>>
>> I just rebuild the configure scripts under Debian 5.0 (stable, not testing
>> or unstable) with colinux and everything works fine when I compile under
>> mingw+msys.
>>
>> Although all my efforts, I was never able to make autotools working under
>> msys. Instead, autotools under cygwin normally worked fine but, for some
>> reasons that I could not understand very well, I remember that I had some
>> troubles with CR-LF somewhere. So I decided to (re)build the scripts under
>> linux: in that manner I'm sure that everything is correct in every part.
>>
>> I downloaded Poppler 0.10.4.
>> I deleted generated files.
>> I rebuild the scripts and the makefiles.
>> I compiled and installed poppler. Success.
>>
>> autogen.sh under linux said:
>>
>> autoconf 2.61
>> automake 1.10.1
>> libtool 1.5.26
>>
>> These packages are not that old, perhaps you have really "too new"
>> packages. I believe it would be better to rebuild the scripts with a stable
>> distribution, at least we are sure that it will work on everything.
>> Anyways, at the moment I believe it is a good idea to leave the
>> AC_LIBTOOL_WIN32_DLL macro included into configure script, this will ensure
>> the compatibility with the old, with the stable and the testing/unstable.
>> Personally, I believe that forcing it is a regression because lot of
>> software have not it declared in their configure scripts but they could be
>> already compiled as shared without problems, but this is just my opinion.
>
> It's an autotools regression/feature, if you look a bit around the internet
> you'll see the mingw people complaining to the autotools people (i think the
> "problem" is really in libtool) for the change.
>
> BTW i'm now using
> autoconf 2.61
> automake 1.10.1
> libtool 2.2.4

if you want to build dll on windows with msys/mingw you either *have to*:

1) use AC_PROG_LIBTOOL and call AC_LIBTOOL_WIN32_DLL before and add
-no-undefined to libtool flag in the Makefile.am that build the library.
This way is considered deprecated since 2004-02-20 (in automake 1.9b).

2) or use LT_INIT([win32-dll]) and add -no-undefined to libtool flag in
the Makefile.am that build the library. LT_INIT was introduced after
libtool > 1.5.

As poppler development has certainly begun after 2004 (poppler 0.2 was
released in 2005, there is no date for 0.1), I think that you can safely
use the new libtool calls.

Vincent Torri