[poppler] FYI: embedded fonts for vertical text in PDF by MS Office 2007/2010

suzuki toshiya mpsuzuki at hiroshima-u.ac.jp
Tue Jul 27 20:29:29 PDT 2010

Hi,

When I check the PDFs generated by MS Office 2007 & 2010
addin, I found a difference in font embedding feature of
them.

* MS Office 2007
The embedded font is named with prefix "@". If I use
MS Mincho, the font name is "@MS Mincho". Such @-prefixed
names are legacy style. If the source document uses
both of horizontal and vertical text, non-prefixed and
@-prefixed font objects are embedded to the PDF.

* MS Office 2010.
The embedded font is always non-prefixed. If the source
document uses both of horizontal and vertical text,
single non-prefixed font object covering the glyphs in both
texts is embeded to the PDF.

For concrete examples, please find attached PDFs.
I was thinking @-prefixed font names are only used by
legacy application when Win32 GUI framework didn't support
vertical text edit. Seeing such names in the applications
in 21st century was interesting experience for me.

Regards,
mpsuzuki