[poppler] Poppler libs on Qt Symbian - Performance - Can it work?

Albert Astals Cid aacid at kde.org
Wed Nov 10 11:18:32 PST 2010

A Dimecres, 10 de novembre de 2010, Colby Boyer va escriure:
> Anyone experiement with how well the Qt PDF poppler libraries work with
> symbian? I'm not sure if there will be much of an issue of going to ARM
> with the poppler lib, let alone symbian. I know poppler already has the Qt
> hooks, so getting it to work in the Qt SDK is trival.
>
> Two things worry me, performance issues on speed and memory usage. Can
> anyone comment on this? Or has anyone tried this?
>
> It would be nice to replace the sad sad excuse of a program known as adobe
> reader for the symbian OS. On the desktop, poppler does much better so I
> think the same can hold for the mobile space. Also, its a good chance to
> get an open source program out there in that mobile space.

I tried it, it's somehow slow but usable on "simple enough pdf" (part of the
slowliness comes from the fact I could not compile in release mode because the
ancient gcc compiler the sdk provices dies on some of the code because can't
find enough registers or something). About memory, well it should be using the
memory it needs, though it probably can be improved.

There is one unresolved issue i did not tackle that is the replacement of
fontconfig, so non embedded fonts basically don't render.

Albert