[poppler] General interest: regression testing techniques for pdfs?

Albert Astals Cid aacid at kde.org
Fri Oct 29 11:08:56 PDT 2010

A Divendres, 29 d'octubre de 2010, Christian Feuersaenger va escriure:
> Dear Developers,
>
> I am author of a program which generates pdf output and as such I am
> thinking about improvements to my regression tests... perhaps I can
> learn from your very successful testing framework.

I wouldn't call it "very successful" nor "framework" as it's a 10 line bash
script :D

> Is there some sort of automatic system which compares screenshots
> somehow?

diff a.png b.png

If they are equal, good no change happened! If they are different then
  convert a.png b.png -compose difference -composite -colorspace gray miff:- |
display
will give you an image with the differences, and
  convert a.png b.png -compose difference -composite -colorspace gray miff:- |
identify -verbose -
will give you some interesting data and you can have look at the standard
deviation for example to know how much the rendering has changed

Albert