[poppler] Wrong hinting

Cedric Sodhi manday at gmx.net
Sun Feb 13 23:19:31 PST 2011

thank you for your feedback. You say that one was rendered using the
splash-backend. I've never heard of such a program. Is there a way
poppler can be configured? For example to use the splash backend instead
of cairo?

Seeing that it works for you gives me hope that it might work for me,
too, but so far I have no clue what could be the cause of that.

You don't happen to have subsituted that specific font?

If you could think of anything that I could try or change, please let me
know. I'm really clueless at this point.

PS: You mentioned that you rendered it with certain specific
Xft-settings. Do you thereby suggest that my assumption that
Xft-settings do not apply to this very font, because it is embedded, is
wrong?

I tried several combinations of hinting, subpixel rendering and
antialias options, compiled Freetype with and without the old
auto-hinter, and even after disabling everything, my System-fonts look
awful, but the font in the document remains unchanged.

Cedric