[poppler] pdftohtml : enhancing it to use embedded fonts

Albert Astals Cid aacid at kde.org
Mon Jun 6 07:49:23 PDT 2011

A Monday, June 06, 2011, Leonard Rosenthol va escriure:
> Again, in the US - that's not the case.

Leonard, i generally appreciate your input, but you are borderline FUDing
here, you state "this is not the case", and then you say "IANAL", so how can
you know this is not the case?

> The software producer is also at risk.

So the US law forbids you to do things because they might be used illegaly?
Do you guys forbid the fabrication of knives? That are used to kill people?
Do you guys forbid the fabrication of computers? That are used to create
illegal software?
Do you guys forbid the fabrication of Windows? That is used to create virii?

I can see millions of cases where extracting the font of a PDF is not illegal,
so the fact that it could be should not matter, moreover if we follow those
useless bits some smart person in Adobe decided to add to "protect" the PDF
files.

> But IANAL and you should certainly consult with one before pursing this
> direction.  IMO...

Really? Come on, I'm sure you could find millions of patents we invalidate in
poppler just be implementing the PDF spec and now you tell us to consult a
lawyer? Anyway I'm not the one that's going to code that so i'm not worried at
all :D

Albert