[poppler] Compiling under Windows 7

Stefano Emilio Campanini stefano.campanini at tinvention.net
Fri Mar 18 03:13:01 PDT 2011

On 17 March 2011 13:40, Maarten Bosmans <mkbosmans at gmail.com> wrote:
> Stefano Emilio Campanini <stefano.campanini <at> tinvention.net> writes:
>> Hi guys,
>>
>> I'm trying to compile poppler-0.16.3 under windows 7 using ming32.
>> After configure and make with defaults options I see these summary
>
> Is there any particular reason not to use prebuilt poppler binaries.  You can
> get them from http://ftp.gnome.org/pub/gnome/binaries/win32/dependencies/
> quite old though)

I have see there that the last build date is in  2009 year... but you
are right: I will try these on my pdf  ( are 1.7 pdf version format ).

> Or from the OpenSUSE BuildService.
> https://build.opensuse.org/
> package/show?package=mingw32-poppler&project=windows%3Amingw%3Awin32
> Currently the mingw project is undergoing a large (and slow) rebuild of all the
> packages, that may take a couple of days. The packages will appear in the
> download repo when ready:
> http://download.opensuse.org/
> repositories/windows:/mingw:/win32/openSUSE_11.4/noarch/
>
> I realize that I don't give a solution that provides a 0.16.3 build today,
> I'm sorry about that.  You can mail me in private if you want me to send a
> buildservice package I have on my disk.

I'm going to tray do it myself, but may be we return to you in future
... thanks in advance.

>> Building poppler with support for:
>>   font configuration: win32
>>   splash output:      yes
>>   cairo output:       no
>>   abiword output:     no
>>   qt wrapper:         no
>>   qt4 wrapper:        no
>>   glib wrapper:       no
>>     use GDK:          no
>>     introspection:    no
>>   cpp wrapper:        yes
>>   use gtk-doc:        no
>>   use libjpeg:        no
>>   use libpng:         no
>>   use zlib:           no
>>   use libcurl:        no
>>   use libopenjpeg:    no
>>   use cms:            no
>>   command line utils: yes
>>
>>   Warning: Using libjpeg is recommended
>>   Warning: Using libopenjpeg is recommended
>>
>> Using the "poppler-render.exe" generated I get errors about fonts like
>> this: "poppler/error: Couldn't create a font for
>> 'Helvetica'poppler/error: Couldn't create a font for... " an so on.
>>
>> Can anyone give me some helps ?
>>
>> I found an old README.windows under the project, there i found these
>> istructions:
>>
>> "Poppler depends on 3 libraries that are not easily available on Windows:
>> * freetype
>> * libjpeg
>> * zlib
>>
>> To make it easy, I've made those dependencies available as pre-compiled
>> files. You need to download http://windevlibs.googlecode.com/files/ext.zip
>> and unzip under 'ext' directory. Those are header files and static libraries
>> for freetype, libjpeg and zlib. "
>>
>> I cannot understand where to put the ext.zip contents ? Where I put
>> these contents ando/or how can I tell the compiler to use these
>> contents ?
>
> Not wanting to sound rude, but you don't seem to understand the basics of
> building software using the GNU autotools. In that case the above comment about
> prefering the ready-build packages seems relevant.

You are right, I have not experience using these tools, my background
is Java/PHP ... no C, C++  and GNU tools.

> In any case, my experience is that building using mingw on windows is a pain and
> that cross-compiling (using the same mingw32+autotools+gcc toolchain) on Linux
> is much easier, everything just works.

Unfortunately I need to have poppler ( or something similar ) working
on M$ windows machine.
Do you mean that I can compile on Linux a package that runs on windows
? It sound strange for me...

> That said, why don't you try building the dependencies yourself. It's simply a
> matter of uncompressing the source tarballs and do something like:
>
> PKG_CONFIG_LIBDIR=/usr/local/min/lib/pkgconfig \
>  ./configure --prefix=/usr/local/mingw
> make
> make install
>
>> Thanks in advance
>> Stefano
>
> Maarten

Thx, I will try.

Thank you very much Maarten !!

You support was precious, and sorry for my bad English.

Bye
Stefano