[poppler] how to find the true bounding box of a glyph

Josh Richardson jric at chegg.com
Wed Mar 7 13:14:51 PST 2012

Since HTML positions from the top of a span, not the baseline, it's very important for me to know the true ascent of a font.  The odd font is not accurate with the reported value of this metric, and the incorrect value seems to be the value that's stored in Poppler's GfxFont.  Any suggestions on how to find the true value?  I think free type 2 has functions that allow me to get at the true bounding box by tracing the arcs of component splines, so I'm considering linking against that, but I'd love to know if there is a cleaner way to do it.

TIA, --josh