[poppler] Poppler 0.19.1 (0.20 Beta 1) released

Thomas Freitag Thomas.Freitag at kabelmail.de
Mon Mar 19 00:05:18 PDT 2012

Am 16.03.2012 16:08, schrieb Carlos Garcia Campos:
> Excerpts from Albert Astals Cid's message of jue mar 15 22:23:15 +0100 2012:
>> Available from
>> http://poppler.freedesktop.org/poppler-0.19.1.tar.gz
>>
>> WARNING: This is a unstable release, it is actually 0.20 Beta 1 release, it
>> should work like any release from the 0.18 branch, but do not blame us if it
>> turns your cat into a lion and eats your breakfast.
>>
>> Changes against the 0.19.0 branch:
>> core:
>>   * Improve CJK suport in PSOutputDev
>>   * CJK substitute implementation on WIndows platforms
>>   * Do not crash on malformed files with 0 bits in the color map of an image
>>   * Fix regression in some PSOutputDev array sizing
>>   * Improvements to Annotation editing
>>   * Fix logic error in Rendition parsing code (Bug #47063)
>>   * Minor API changes to SplashOutputDev (Bug #46622)
>>   * Fix mismatch in some functions declarations
>>   * Update poppler copyright year
>>
>> utils:
>>   * pdftops: Fix -passfonts regression. (Bug #46744)
>>   * pdffonts: List the encoding of each font. (Bug #46888)
>>   * pdftohtml: Add possibilty of controlling word breaks percentage. (Bug #47022)
>>
>> qt4:
>>   * Support for LinkMovie object (Bug #40561)
>>   * Support for Media Rendition
>>
>> glib:
>>   * Add poppler_fonts_iter_get_encoding
>>   * Improvements to the demo
>>
>> Testing, patches and bug reports welcome.
>>
>> My TODO list is:
>>   * Work with Fabio in his Annot Qt4 patches
>>   * Decide something with Adrian in the "Pdf that uses the symbol font" thread
>>   * Review 47186 pdftohtml: mask images are not extracted, unless they are JPEG
>>   * Review 32340 pdftohtml: renders images vertically flipped
>>
>> Remember feature freeze is in 2 weeks with Beta 2
>>
>> If anyone has anything else that thinks it is waiting on me for further
>> feedback, tellme, because it's not on my list
> The xpdf303 merge introduced some regressions in the cairo backend,
> I'll try to find some time this weekend to send more details to the list.
Seems as if You haven't found the time to take a deeper look into it. So
here just hint: if it comes from the part I merged, I see two possibilities:
1. Radial shading
I wasn't able to merge the changes in the xpdf algorithm in the Gfx area
for radial shading with our algorithm. I took over the xpdf algorithm in
the hope that it fixes some regressions in the cairo backend and made
only a few tests. These tests showed neither an enhancement nor a new
regression, but I let the xpdf algorithm in. If this change causes a
regression in the cairo backend with PDF I haven't tested, we can revert
that change: No one of our backends uses the Gfx algorithm anymore
beside the cairo backend, all other backends implements the radial
shading by itself.
2. Text rendering, especially output text in pattern colorspace
Rendering text in pattern colorspace was now also introduced by xpdf,
and it was a much cleaner and more understandable solution than mine.
But therefore I needed to change every backend to support the new
solution. It was quite easy for me to change it in the postscript and
the splash backend where I understand what these backends are doing. I
thought that I also understood what I need to change in the cairo
backend and did it. I made a complete regtest in the spash backend, but
only a few tests in postscript and cairo backend to see if my changes
work at all, but of course it's possible that there were some
misunderstanding from me especially in the cairo backend.
Perhaps this helps...

Thomas