[poppler] Differing number of items returned from get_text{, layout} for glyphs over page edge

Germán Póo-Caamaño gpoo at gnome.org
Wed Dec 4 05:53:45 PST 2013

On Wed, 2013-12-04 at 13:34 +0000, Peter Waller wrote:
> On 28 November 2013 07:22, Germán Póo-Caamaño <gpoo at gnome.org> wrote:
>         FWIW, I tried to use poppler_page_get_text_layout_for_area()
>          for
>         implementing the text annotation markup in glib (in the demo),
>         but it is
>         notoriously slower than the deprecated
>         poppler_page_get_selection_region().
>
> What are your timings? I tested it and see that
> poppler_page_get_text_layout_for_area and
> poppler_page_get_text_for_area are ~30% slower for emptyish pages and
> <~5% slower for more populated pages. Absolutely it is O(1ms) so
> doesn't seem a concern to me, but I'm curious what problem you're
> encountering.

For highlighting text interactively (or any other text markup), it calls
poppler_page_get_text_layout_for_area every time the selection region
changes. That is, to get the rectangles and set/update the annotation.

So, the delay is multiplied for the number of updates required.

--
Germán Poo-Caamaño
http://calcifer.org/