[poppler] Annot border regressions

Carlos Garcia Campos carlosgc at gnome.org
Fri Nov 29 09:07:01 PST 2013

Leonard Rosenthol <lrosenth at adobe.com> writes:

> On 11/29/13 9:13 AM, "Carlos Garcia Campos" <carlosgc at gnome.org> wrote:
>
>>att_klein_wired.f4.pdf
>> - Page 29: we are now rendering a border in a link, acroread doesn't
>> even open the file.
>
> Love to see the fileŠ

The file is pretty broken, we render garbage in most of the pages and
acroread shows an error popup saying that it failed to read the
file. I'm not sure which files of the test suite that are not from
public bugs are shareable, Albert?

>>bug-poppler30580.pdf
>> - Contains several square annots without any border specified. We are
>> now using the default border in this case, but acroread doesn't. It's
>> because these annots have an XAP entry for the appearance stream. When
>> square annots have an AP we ignore the border, and use the provided AP
>> instead. Does anybody know what XAP is? Is it part of a PDF extension?
>> Should we parse those entries the same way we do for AP?
>
> Never heard of XAP.  It not something in any spec that I am aware of.  Can
> you post the PDF?

This one can be found in the bug, the url to the file is:

http://www.gris.informatik.tu-darmstadt.de/%7Emgoesele/download/Stark-2010-BTF.pdf

You can see square annots like this:

13 0 obj <<
/Type /Annot
 /A << /D << /S /GoTo /D (cite.lowe87) >> >>
 /Subtype /Square
 /Subj (Citation)
 /CA 1.0 /T (Citation)
 /Contents ({Lowe} 1987)
 /XAP << /N 11 0 R /D 11 0 R /R 11 0 R >>
 /Open false
/Rect [138.896 211.116 148.859 217.97]
>> endobj

With my patches we render a border, but acroread doesn't, and I assumed
it was because of the XAP, acroread is simply ignoring the XAP thing
(which looks like a bug in the document itself) because it doesn't
seem to render anything. So, the question is why acroread doesn't use
the default border in this particular case (square annot without Border
and BS).

>>There are a few files that didn't render anything where we now seem to
>>draw borders at random places, but they don't even open in acroread so
>>it's difficult to say.
>
> If you want to post them for me, I'll be glad to look.

Same here than the first example, all of them are broken files, we don't
render anything for them.

> Leonard

Thanks,
--