[poppler] About the problem of fonts

Adrian Perez de Castro aperez at igalia.com
Wed Jan 15 05:22:00 PST 2014

suzuki toshiya <mpsuzuki at hiroshima-u.ac.jp> writes:

> 2) Installing some fonts with MS Gothic or MS Mincho compatible
> metrics, like, Mona fonts.
>
> # But I don't know the alphabet metrics are either tuned to
> # be compatible. I think the tuned metrics of such fonts are
> # mainly Katakana, Hiragana etc.

If you go with this solution, also make sure that there is a FontConfig
configuration file that sets up the fonts as possible replacements for
MS Gothic and MS Mincho. If you install the fonts using packages from
your distribution, this is probably already taken care of. If you need
to do it manually, the files are in “/etc/fonts/conf.d/”, and write
something like the following in a .conf file there:

  <?xml version="1.0"?>
  <!DOCTYPE fontconfig SYSTEM "fonts.dtd">
  <fontconfig>
    <match>
      <test name="family" compare="contains">
        <string>MS Gothic</string>
      </test>
      <edit name="family" mode="prepend">
        <string>VL PGothic</string>
      </edit>
    </match>
  </fontconfig>

This example replaces “MS Gothic” with “VL PGothic” -- just feel free to
write the name of the font that works better for replacing MS Gothic in
your case.

You can also do the replacements depending on the language. For info on
all the things that can be done with FontConfig, you may want to check
the documentation for the configuration files at:

  http://www.freedesktop.org/software/fontconfig/fontconfig-user.html

Hope this helps!

-Adrian