[poppler] Rethinking poppler releases

Carlos Garcia Campos carlosgc at gnome.org
Sat Sep 27 00:11:37 PDT 2014

Albert Astals Cid <aacid at kde.org> writes:

> El Divendres, 26 de setembre de 2014, a les 14:35:10, Carlos Garcia Campos va
> escriure:
>> Albert Astals Cid <aacid at kde.org> writes:
>> > Hi all, we released 0.26.0 five months ago. And we have no schedule for
>> > 0.28.0 (or i can't find no email discussing it).
>> >
>> > This is something that has been happening repeateadly, we "forget" when
>> > the
>> > next feature release or we need to delay it because we only release it
>> > every so often and we *really* need a feature in.
>> >
>> > I'd like to propose a change from having bugfix releases every month and
>> > feature releases every ~6 months to just having a release every month.
>> >
>> > In that release we would introduce both bugfixes and features.
>> >
>> > We have been *very* good in the past with not introducing regressions
>> > thanks to running the regression suite, so i think this is a good thing
>> > since it makes it easier for our features to reach the users earlier
>> > (e.g. i have a feature in poppler-qt that need to be released to make
>> > okular faster).
>> >
>> > The downside is that some distros won't like it, but honestly those
>> > distros
>> > already don't update some of the minor releases because we do changes to
>> > our internal APIs so one can't fix distros.
>> >
>> > Given the manpower we have at the moment (i.e. very low) i think a monthly
>> > release (or maybe every two months) that contains both bugfixes and
>> > features is the best for us.
>> >
>> > Comments?
>>
>> My only concern is the new public APIs, as you said we don't usually
>> introduce severe regressions when adding features, but in the case of
>> new API things are a bit different.
>
> *New* API is fine.
>
>> Breaking the API/ABI is problematic
>> for everybody, and having an unstable cycle gives you the chance to test
>> new APIs and change it if needed when actually used in the real
>> world. Of course I'm talking about the qt/glib APIs, not the internal
>> APIs.
>
> Well, this means you have to test it before commiting it, should not be that
> hard. And well we can always either fix/break it (who wants/needs a broken API
> anyway) or introduce a V2 variant.

I wish it was always as easier as test it before committing,
unfortunately that's not always the case. In any case, I can implement
ways of adding semi-public API, something like protecting new risky API
with THIS_IS_UNSTABLE_I_KNOW_WHAT_IM_DOING or similar macro that the
user has to define to be able to use it. Once I consider that's stable I
only need to remove the ifdefs.

So, I'm definitely fine with any solution that allows us to progress
quickly and reduce the maintenance work for you.