[poppler] Rethinking poppler releases

Albert Astals Cid aacid at kde.org
Sat Sep 27 06:19:08 PDT 2014

El Dissabte, 27 de setembre de 2014, a les 09:11:37, Carlos Garcia Campos va
escriure:
> Albert Astals Cid <aacid at kde.org> writes:
> > El Divendres, 26 de setembre de 2014, a les 14:35:10, Carlos Garcia Campos
> > va>
> > escriure:

> >> My only concern is the new public APIs, as you said we don't usually
> >> introduce severe regressions when adding features, but in the case of
> >> new API things are a bit different.
> >
> > *New* API is fine.
> >
> >> Breaking the API/ABI is problematic
> >> for everybody, and having an unstable cycle gives you the chance to test
> >> new APIs and change it if needed when actually used in the real
> >> world. Of course I'm talking about the qt/glib APIs, not the internal
> >> APIs.
> >
> > Well, this means you have to test it before commiting it, should not be
> > that hard. And well we can always either fix/break it (who wants/needs a
> > broken API anyway) or introduce a V2 variant.
>
> I wish it was always as easier as test it before committing,
> unfortunately that's not always the case. In any case, I can implement
> ways of adding semi-public API, something like protecting new risky API
> with THIS_IS_UNSTABLE_I_KNOW_WHAT_IM_DOING or similar macro that the
> user has to define to be able to use it. Once I consider that's stable I
> only need to remove the ifdefs.
>
> So, I'm definitely fine with any solution that allows us to progress
> quickly and reduce the maintenance work for you.

Ok then let's try this for a while and see how it goes. I will release 0.26.5
today and then we go with 0.28 next month, 0.30 in two months, etc.

All releases will be tagged from master.

After a few months (let's say half a year) we can evaluate how this has gone
and if we need to go back to the old ways.