[poppler] [RFC] Add option to strip encryption

Adam Reichold adam.reichold at t-online.de
Sun Jul 26 01:25:23 PDT 2015

Hello,

Am 26.07.2015 um 04:41 schrieb Leonard Rosenthol:
> I assume that you only do this when the PDF allows printing - but if printing is not permitted, you don’t violate the original author’s rights.   True?

AFAIK the current stance is that Poppler shifts this burden to the
viewer. For example conversion to PostScript is always possible but
whether the viewer allows the user to send the output to the spooling
service does not seem to be implemented within Poppler?

> Also, in light of what Albert wrote - I have to assume that this only works for documents without an open/user password.  Either that or only when the user knows the password.   Correct?

Since this just extends Poppler's existing methods used to store
documents, I think this cannot be used with the document being
successfully unlocked beforehand. (One could certainly call the methods
using this parameter but the result would be GIGO as I understand it.)

Best regards, Adam.