[poppler] evince does not show chinese bold or italic

Jason Crain jason at aquaticape.us
Fri Apr 21 15:34:50 UTC 2017

On Thu, Apr 20, 2017 at 05:28:08PM +0200, Thomas Johnsson wrote:
> I suspect (but I'm not sure) that acroread synthesizes bold and italic from
> the regular font, and that evince fails to do so.
> Or could it be that additional fonts need to be installed?
> Or might this have been fixed in a later version of evince?

For the benefit of the discussion, I'll repeat and expand on what I said
on the evince mailing list.

This document does not embed fonts, which means that poppler uses
fontconfig to locate appropriate substitute fonts.  If fontconfig can't
find the right combination of bold and italic, it will select some other
non-italic or non-bold variant.  My system, and apparently also William
Bader's system, at least show the bold font but not the italic font
because we have a bold CJK font installed.  I don't think that poppler
tries to synthesize font styles.

The pdf reference does mention that font styles can be synthesized, and
this might be what acroread is doing, so it would be nice if poppler
could synthesize bold or italic font styles.