[poppler] Question regarding font selection

Jason Crain jason at inspiresomeone.us
Wed Jul 5 17:10:18 UTC 2017

On Wed, Jul 05, 2017 at 10:45:07AM -0400, Pierre-Luc Samuel wrote:
> On 17-07-04 06:43 PM, Albert Astals Cid wrote:
> > El dimarts, 4 de juliol de 2017, a les 17:06:07 CEST, Pierre-Luc Samuel va
> > escriure:
> > > I am experiencing weird font substitution with pdftocairo and was
> > > wondering what was the algorithm to match fonts when converting from
> > > PDF.  The Courier font (regular) is being substituted "Nimbus Mono L
> > > Bold", even if fc-match return the non-bold version.
> > >
> > > $ fc-match "Courier"
> > > n022003l.pfb: "Nimbus Mono L" "Regular"
> > >
> > > $ fc-match "Courier:style=bold"
> > > n022004l.pfb: "Nimbus Mono L" "Bold"
> > >
> > > What could be the reason behind this?
> > The pdf font can be asking for bold even if the name doesn't contain bold.
> >
> Thanks for your answer Albert.  I have attached a sample PDF and resulting
> SVG with the problem I'm encountering.  I do not understand why the bold
> font is selected for the first "Courier".
>
> pdftocairo version 0.56.0

It works for me:

$ pdffonts ~/courier.pdf  -subst
name                                 object ID substitute font                      substitute font file
Courier                                   7  0 Nimbus Mono L                        /usr/share/fonts/type1/gsfonts/n022003l.pfb
Courier-Bold                              8  0 Nimbus Mono L Bold                   /usr/share/fonts/type1/gsfonts/n022004l.pfb
Courier-Oblique                           9  0 Nimbus Mono L Regular Oblique        /usr/share/fonts/type1/gsfonts/n022023l.pfb
Courier-BoldOblique                      10  0 Nimbus Mono L Bold Oblique           /usr/share/fonts/type1/gsfonts/n022024l.pfb

With versions 0.48.0 and from git master.