[poppler] Question regarding font selection

Pierre-Luc Samuel Pierre-Luc.Samuel at ticketmaster.com
Wed Jul 5 19:47:44 UTC 2017

On 17-07-05 01:10 PM, Jason Crain wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 05, 2017 at 10:45:07AM -0400, Pierre-Luc Samuel wrote:
>> On 17-07-04 06:43 PM, Albert Astals Cid wrote:
>>> El dimarts, 4 de juliol de 2017, a les 17:06:07 CEST, Pierre-Luc Samuel va
>>> escriure:

>>> The pdf font can be asking for bold even if the name doesn't contain bold.
>>>
>> Thanks for your answer Albert.  I have attached a sample PDF and resulting
>> SVG with the problem I'm encountering.  I do not understand why the bold
>> font is selected for the first "Courier".
>>
>> pdftocairo version 0.56.0
> It works for me:
>
> $ pdffonts ~/courier.pdf  -subst
> name                                 object ID substitute font                      substitute font file
> ------------------------------------ --------- ------------------------------------ ------------------------------------
> Courier                                   7  0 Nimbus Mono L                        /usr/share/fonts/type1/gsfonts/n022003l.pfb
> Courier-Bold                              8  0 Nimbus Mono L Bold                   /usr/share/fonts/type1/gsfonts/n022004l.pfb
> Courier-Oblique                           9  0 Nimbus Mono L Regular Oblique        /usr/share/fonts/type1/gsfonts/n022023l.pfb
> Courier-BoldOblique                      10  0 Nimbus Mono L Bold Oblique           /usr/share/fonts/type1/gsfonts/n022024l.pfb
>
> With versions 0.48.0 and from git master.

Interesting, I did not know about this command.  Here's the output I get:

name                                 object ID substitute
font                      substitute font file
------------------------------------ ---------
Courier                                   7  0 Nimbus Mono L Bold
/usr/local/share/fonts/ghostscript/fonts/n022004l.pfb
Courier-Bold                              8  0 Nimbus Mono L Bold
/usr/local/share/fonts/ghostscript/fonts/n022004l.pfb
Courier-Oblique                           9  0 Nimbus Mono L Regular
Oblique /usr/local/share/fonts/ghostscript/fonts/n022023l.pfb
Courier-BoldOblique                      10  0 Nimbus Mono L Bold
Oblique /usr/local/share/fonts/ghostscript/fonts/n022024l.pfb

Pierre-Luc