[poppler] PDF 2.0 Spec

Leonard Rosenthol lrosenth at adobe.com
Wed Nov 7 17:15:09 UTC 2018

>> But of course it's a draft so one would not want to use it as
>> definitive answer.
>
> But isn't this somewhat true even for the final version? Meaning that
> it will never be the definite answer as we will always look at other
> implementations or decide on our own that a document maybe formally
> incorrect or outright broken, but we still want to support it because
> our users want us to?

One of the goals of the PDF 2.0 committee was to actually make it a (more) definitive document.  We looked at areas where implementations differed, reviewed the options and agreed on a single choice of implementation.  Not everything - there are still areas where processors can go their own way, but they are less...

>We can support "broken" documents, that's fine imo. Additionally, if we have the standard at hand, we can cite some place and tell the bug reporter "please give your composer vendor a hint to fix it at their side too", just to improve the world a little bit:)

Absolutely!!

Leonard