[poppler] PDF 2.0 Spec

Albert Astals Cid aacid at kde.org
Thu Nov 22 23:13:16 UTC 2018

El dijous, 22 de novembre de 2018, a les 21:15:10 CET, Tobias Deiminger va escriure:
> Hi,
>
> Am 07.11.2018 22:35 schrieb Albert Astals Cid:
> > Asking is free :)
>
> here comes a summary from an email conversion I had with DIN
> about licensing.
>
> They offer two models to lower the price when multiple
> copies are needed:
>
> 1. Usage by 50% license fee - pay 50% of the original price
> per additional copy. Each additional copy can be sent to an
> arbitrary 3rd party.
>
> 2. License for company internal duplication - copies can be
> shared with employees. It's very likely not possible for us,
> because none of us is really employed by KDE or Gnome (?)
>

> Below is a fictional but legal scenario with 50%-fee copies:
>
> - Some e.V. or foundation buys 1 license at full price
> (e.g., 229.40€ at Beuth Verlag). Customer name and number
> will be watermarked into the PDF.
>
> - e.V. or foundation contacts DIN to request 4 further 50%-
> fee licenses, i.e. 4 * 114.70€.
>
> - The resulting 5 copies can now be forwarded to 5 persons
> as PDF file within an E-Mail. The E-Mail needs to state that
> the standard must not be copied or forwarded to someone
> else.
>
> - If one of the 5 persons resigns from working at poppler,
> they can give the copy back to the organization, so that it
> can be used for another person.

This is my only concern. What does "resign from working" means, is that "can never do pathhes ever more" or more like "not interested in looking at the PDF spec". I guess it's not specified?

> - If the PDF file is stored on a server, the server needs to
> be access restricted.
>

> @Albert: Do you think that helps? How to go on?

600€ is "nothing" for the KDE e.V., it's more a problem of logistics, but as far as you say it seems doable (if we can get a more narrow definition of "resigns from working at poppler" means). I'd suggest to contact the board at kde-ev-board at kde.org and talk them about this.

Gnome-ers/others, if you're reading this and want to split the cost, you know KDE is always accepting donations ;)