[poppler] splashModeDeviceN8 in two switch

Albert Astals Cid aacid at kde.org
Wed Apr 24 17:40:22 UTC 2019

El dimarts, 23 d’abril de 2019, a les 18:11:04 CEST, Adam Reichold va escriure:
> Hello,
>
> thinking about this again with a bit of distance, should we maybe remove
> the `SPLASH_CMYK` preprocessor flag entirely? I am assuming the reasons
> for having this upstream is to keep the code from bit rotting as
> Poppler's internals change? If nobody builds this, then this will not
> happen. (CI checks improve things, but it will still be "late" feedback
> instead of being part of the initial edit-compile-test cycle. Also, this
> will not reach e.g. clusterfuzz which thereby will not verify that code.)
>
> Are there any downsides to removing the conditional compilation? Does
> this break code that does not request the CMYK handling explicitly? If
> so, could we fix this via the internal API instead of hard-coded it at
> compile time?

The main problem i see is that it makes SplashColor for from 4 bytes to 8 bytes, so may make things slower/use more memory for a feature "noone uses".

P.S: Of course the "noone uses" is a bit of a self fulfilling prophecy if we don't enable it