[poppler] PDF to PNG conversion

William Bader williambader at hotmail.com
Tue Sep 3 02:15:45 UTC 2019

> I do find it in the Amazon Linux distribution I'm using on my AWS instance, but it's version 0.26! I need the latest version...

poppler 0.26 is from mid-2014. https://poppler.freedesktop.org/releases.html
Probably everything from your distribution is from the same time, so some of the libraries and build tools in the distribution might be old enough to give problems building the current poppler.
Supposedly Amazon Linux is based on RHEL/CentOS (but with different versions of some libraries so EPEL isn't helpful), and my CentOS 7.6 VM has poppler 0.26.5, so probably your Amazon Linux VM is similar to RHEL 7.
The RHEL/CentOS 7 equivalent of what Oliver suggested would be
  sudo yum install poppler-devel
On RHEL/CentOS 7 you can install all of the development tools with
  sudo yum group install "Development Tools"
but if you don't want to install anything unnecessary, you can start with
  sudo yum install gcc-c++

William