[poppler] Moving up our "minimum" Linux base

Philipp Knechtges philipp-dev at knechtges.com
Wed Dec 2 20:18:09 UTC 2020

I personally do not mind, but could you elaborate on what in particular
you consider too old about 16.04?

 From your recent commit series I would guess you are not satisfied with
CMake? Or is it the GCC version? Is it some specific feature you are
missing in the current setup?

FWIW, LLVM seems to be a project which is quite fast at making newer
CMake versions compulsory. Currently they require CMake version 3.13.4,
which would not be present in 18.04, which has 3.10.2 afaik. So compared
to them, a move to requiring some equivalent set of tools as found on
18.04 could be considered conservative ;)

In the end it is your choice, but speaking for myself I would propose
that one drives this process more from the feature side. You encounter a
missing feature (e.g. Cmake policy you would like to have), you check
what version of CMake is minimally required to provide this feature, and
if this feature in not just in the latest distro releases, go ahead and
introduce it?

Just my 20 cents. Best regards

Philipp