[poppler] Moving up our "minimum" Linux base

Albert Astals Cid aacid at kde.org
Wed Dec 2 20:45:45 UTC 2020

El dimecres, 2 de desembre de 2020, a les 21:18:09 CET, Philipp Knechtges va escriure:
> I personally do not mind, but could you elaborate on what in particular
> you consider too old about 16.04?
>
>  From your recent commit series I would guess you are not satisfied with
> CMake? Or is it the GCC version? Is it some specific feature you are
> missing in the current setup?

cmake is one of them, yes. Having to worry less when I we do stuff that has to work on something that is now almost 5 years old is another.

> FWIW, LLVM seems to be a project which is quite fast at making newer
> CMake versions compulsory. Currently they require CMake version 3.13.4,
> which would not be present in 18.04, which has 3.10.2 afaik. So compared
> to them, a move to requiring some equivalent set of tools as found on
> 18.04 could be considered conservative ;)
>
> In the end it is your choice, but speaking for myself I would propose
> that one drives this process more from the feature side. You encounter a
> missing feature (e.g. Cmake policy you would like to have), you check
> what version of CMake is minimally required to provide this feature, and
> if this feature in not just in the latest distro releases, go ahead and
> introduce it?

That'd be an option, but then let's say that i say "i want cmake X, Qt Y, gcc Z", cool, but there's no distro that has that combination so it's not tested on CI so what "is tested is the truth", so it's much more sensible to approach it from the other side, find a distribution that is old enough and say "let's move to that".