[poppler] Reading code for FUN

thomas.huxhorn at web.de thomas.huxhorn at web.de
Sun Jun 13 09:51:31 UTC 2021

Hello,

I always wonder why it takes so long to display big pictures in PDF
files on linux. So I recompile poppler with release+debug symbols and
use valgrind profile to get an idea what is happening there. As I can
see, 50% of the CPU ticks are used to copy data from A to B. But without
knowing the code, its hard to say if this is good or not.
So I start reading the code. Puh it's hard to understand, so I start
reading the PDF reference too.

As far I can see, there a linearized PDFs and and a table called xref.
Not much for one week of reading ;)

Perhaps I should start from scratch and write my own PDF reader to
understand things better.

If you are interested in, I can inform you about my progress. I'll do
this in my free time, so no hurry.

Thomas H.