[Portland] In process? Out of process? And more...

Bryce Harrington bryce at osdl.org
Wed Dec 21 03:24:02 EET 2005

On Sun, Dec 11, 2005 at 09:19:21PM -0800, Dan Kegel wrote:
> I like the idea of focusing on "installing an application into the menu system"
> as a test case.
> Before we start defining APIs, though, can we gather a list of the specs
> which might be involved (for fd.o, kde, gnome)?
>
> Is this the full list of freedesktop.org specs that might be involved
> in installing an app?
> http://freedesktop.org/wiki/Standards_2fdesktop_2dentry_2dspec
> http://freedesktop.org/wiki/Standards_2fshared_2dmime_2dinfo_2dspec
> http://freedesktop.org/wiki/Standards_2fmime_2dactions_2dspec
>
> FWIW, here's a grabbag of pages that seem to touch on the topic.
> http://live.gnome.org/GuideForISVs
> http://autopackage.org/docs/devguide/ch08s02.html
> http://developers.sun.com/solaris/articles/integrating_gnome.html
> http://psi-im.org/wiki/FreeDesktop.org_Integration
> http://studio.imagemagick.org/pipermail/magick-developers/2004-August/002002.html
> - Dan

Hi Dan,

This looks like a great start; I've created a web page for this test
suite proposal, hope that's okay...

    http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/PortlandTestSuite

So would this test suite simply be an application simulator, that would
run through an installation process and then validate that all the
various bits got installed to the expected locations and/or configured
appropriately?

I can definitely imagine how this test suite would be valuable well
beyond ISVs - distros and even OSS applications would probably be
interested to use this to measure how conformant various distros are to
the relevant standards.

Bryce