[Portland] In process? Out of process? And more...

Dan Kegel dank at kegel.com
Wed Dec 21 05:10:56 EET 2005

On 12/20/05, Bryce Harrington <bryce at osdl.org> wrote:
> On Sun, Dec 11, 2005 at 09:19:21PM -0800, Dan Kegel wrote:
> > I like the idea of focusing on "installing an application into the menu system"
> > as a test case.
>
> This looks like a great start; I've created a web page for this test
> suite proposal, hope that's okay...
>
>     http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/PortlandTestSuite
>
> So would this test suite simply be an application simulator, that would
> run through an installation process and then validate that all the
> various bits got installed to the expected locations and/or configured
> appropriately?

Sure, I'm a test-first kind of guy; I like the idea of writing the spec, the
test suite, and the implementation incrementally together.
But all I was really trying to say is "let's focus on solving the
simple problem of installing an app first to make sure we can actually
get something real done before we jump into designing the
hard things like print dialogs".

> I can definitely imagine how this test suite would be valuable well
> beyond ISVs - distros and even OSS applications would probably be
> interested to use this to measure how conformant various distros are to
> the relevant standards.

I'd love to see the test of whether a desktop implementation
actually does the right thing when an app is properly installed.
You'd probably need to use the accessibility interface to query
the menu system at runtime.  Hrm, is the interface promised in
http://accessibility.freestandards.org/a11yweb/forms/soi.php
ready yet?
- Dan