[Portland] RFE: record Task{Menu, Desktop, Mime...} and allow the user to undo

Olivier Mengué dolmen at users.sourceforge.net
Thu Apr 6 03:23:54 EEST 2006

Hi,

Following the Slashdot post I discovered the Portland project and the
IntegrationTasks page.

My first reaction was to think that Task{Menu,Desktop,Mime} are very bad ideas:
I do not want my Gnome desktop/menu to become as messy as a Windows
desktop/Start menu. I don't want menu entries pointing to "Readme" or
"Uninstall", or desktop items I never use.
A Linux distribution, thanks to the packagers work, is what keep unity on my
desktop. The IntegrationTasks will break that.

Of course I understand that this may be useful for tools such as autopackage.

However I propose an enhancement: record every action in a log and
provide an API on which a tool could be built to allow the user to:
- view what has been done
- undo it
- redo it (what has been undone, or blocked, by the user/a rule)
- block it (to stop abusing applications)
Such administration tool which have access to this privileged API would have to
be "registered" (by the system administrator, or the user, with a confirmation
dialog), to reduce the impact of trojan horses.

One such tool would show:
"On 2006-04-05 22:31, 'The Gimp' created a menu entry 'The Gimp' in 'Graphics'"
"On 2006-04-05 22:32, 'The Gimp' associated files of type 'image/gif' to 'The
Gimp'"
"On 2006-04-05 22:50, 'package Inkscape-0.43' associated files of type
'image/xml+svg' to 'Inkscape'"

Log entries would be grouped by application or by date (session).
Two applications levels would be needed (example: "Autopackage" and the packaged
application).

What do you think of this?

--
print pack('N', unpack('V', '$A++')+521539364);