[Portland] xdg-menu copies .desktop file

Dan Kegel dank at kegel.com
Fri Apr 7 02:21:03 EEST 2006

On 4/6/06, Lubos Lunak <l.lunak at suse.cz> wrote:
> > >  What's the point of having xdg-menu at all then?
> >
> > xdg-menu is how the app's postinstall and uninstall scripts
> > will create and remove the menu item, of course.
>
>  Then there's no point in using a separate prefix for the package. If the app
> comes as rpm, it can simply have the .desktop file already
> in /usr/share/applications.

My impression of the FHS was that only applications
supplied by the distribution maintainer could do that.
Third party apps are intended to reside in /opt as described here:
http://www.pathname.com/fhs/pub/fhs-2.3.html#OPTADDONAPPLICATIONSOFTWAREPACKAGES
And I think users who install a commercial app
which is provided as an rpm probably do prefer it to go
in /opt/vendorname/appname rather than mixing
in with the rest of the system.
I could be wrong, but that was my impression.
- Dan