[Portland] PortlandVFSProposal

nf2 nf2 at scheinwelt.at
Sat Jan 7 22:46:32 EET 2006

Martin Konold wrote:

>Am Samstag, 7. Januar 2006 10:21 schrieb nf2:
>
>Hi,
>

>>If the
>>layering would have been done correctly there wouldn't be a necessity
>>for project portland, RuDI,...
>>

>Portland and RuDI have a much larger scope than only file i/o.

Of course. Common infrastructure as well. What i meant is that the
majority of the PortlandIntegrationTasks could also be solved with
common infrastructure. And the infrastructure approach might be nicer,
because it has a clear hierarchy of dependencies. KIO and Gnome-VFS
would for instance just depend on the Common-VFS package.

With the "adapter approach" (RuDI) you always have to deal with odd
cases like "there is no VFS library installed". Because of the
late-binding. It's a wild mix of layers, the most abstruse example is
probably this out-of process popping up filedialogs.

>In general I believe that standardizing on interfaces or better protocolls is
>much better with regards to future innovation compared to standardizing on
>implementation.

Infrastructure libraries can also be improved/replaced behind a
standardized interface. They could even serve multiple major versions of
an interface (by providing compatibility stubs - using differend
namespaces for function names).

>BTW: Is your proposal synchronous or asynchronous?

both.

>Regards,
>-- martin

I wouldn't say that the "adapter approach" is bad, but some things
(out-of-process file- or printdialogs) look quite frightening...

Regards,
Norbert