[Portland] printing?

Bryce Harrington bryce at osdl.org
Fri Jun 2 13:02:00 PDT 2006

On Fri, Jun 02, 2006 at 11:22:07AM -0700, Bastian, Waldo wrote:
> I have outlined the ideas that I have around this topic on
> http://www.kdedevelopers.org/node/2061
>
> Tom Whiple over here at Intel will be helping me getting this of the
> ground over the summer. It would be great if you could provide input to
> the Wiki in terms of any constraints/requirements that Inkspace would
> have in this regard.

Okay, I've added some thoughts...

For Inkscape we mainly need the standard print dialog stuff - setting
margins, print preview, selecting the printer, landscape vs. portrait,
etc.

The one thing that may be kind of unique to us is that SVG can either be
printed directly as postscript, or can be rendered to a bitmap first.
Usually the former is better, but there are some SVG features not well
supported by postscript, so the latter is sometimes desireable to have
as an option.

One question I have is for this dialog, are there ways that the dialog
can pass info back to the application?  I.e., it could be nice if the
user switched to landscape mode in the print dialog, to change the
canvas as well.

Bryce