[Portland] Transport mechanism

Dan Kegel dank at kegel.com
Fri Mar 3 17:20:16 EET 2006

On 3/3/06, nf2 <nf2 at scheinwelt.at> wrote:
> 1) Download dbus and look at dbus.h:
>
> #ifndef DBUS_API_SUBJECT_TO_CHANGE
> #error "Please define DBUS_API_SUBJECT_TO_CHANGE to acknowledge your
> understanding that D-BUS hasn't reached 1.0 and is subject to protocol
> and API churn. See the README for a full explanation."
> #endif

Thanks!  But see also
http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/dbus/2006-February/004123.html
in which Havoc Pennington says
"the protocol and library are more or less stable and on the verge of
1.0."

Therefore now is a good time to consider using D-Bus (both protocol and
library).  Do you still disagree?

I'm not saying that the two existing prototypes should drop everything
and switch to D-Bus, but I am saying that now might be a good time
to start a third prototype which uses the guts of the first two
prototypes grafted on to the D-Bus protocol in a non-hacky manner.
(And I'm polishing my crystal ball to see if I can somehow justify
working on it here...)
- Dan