[Portland] Consistent messaging

Kevin Krammer kevin.krammer at gmx.at
Thu Mar 9 23:58:58 EET 2006

On Thursday 09 March 2006 18:22, John Cherry wrote:
> I have talked about this with some of you, but I am about to release an
> article that introduces the Portland Project to the general public
> (actually to the IT community through LinuxWorld Magazine).  We want to
> be careful to set reasonable expectations and to avoid architectural
> detail, but at the same time, readers (including perspective ISVs) need
> to know what it IS.  Please check out the following text and .png.

Very good idea.
Last week, when I posted about the current efforts to the OSDL
Desktop_architects list, even active observers like Jeremy White seemed to
have missed that the Portland mailinglist existed, let alone the projects
discussed there.

> The Portland Project is working in concert with the Linux Standards Base
> (LSB) to document and standardize the application programming
> interfaces.

Is this an official goal of the Portland "task force" or an extrapolation of
the work we are currently doing?

> Is the Portland Project real? When will application vendors get to start
> using these interfaces? The infrastructure will emerge first
> (implementation of the components in the model above). The development
> team is experimenting with prototypes now. Some courageous application
> vendors are testing these prototypes.

If possible I'd like to ask for something like a request for comment, i.e. the
developers working on this APIs and tools are free desktop developers, we
know what we have available, but we do not necessarily know what ISVs need.

It has be said before that some of the task listed on the Portland wiki are
not very detailed, thus leaving us with just assumptions to work with.

Unless Lubos or Norbert have received feedback in private mails, there is
currently a void to fill.

Cheers,
Kevin

--