[Portland] Summarize current plan?

Dan Kegel dank at kegel.com
Mon Mar 13 07:41:14 EET 2006

On 3/12/06, Jeremy White <jwhite at codeweavers.com> wrote:
> Along those lines, I posted a script for managing icons here:
>   http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/xdg/2006-February/007685.html
> (note that the attached script there has a bug; the ~/.kde
> default should have a further 'share' in the path).

Oh, man, that post started a long thread, most of which is interesting.

One post in particular by Aaron seems germane:
http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/xdg/2006-February/007743.html
>i wonder if we shouldn't provide some simple command line tools
>to add/remove paths. this way in the future if we change course
>again ISVs won't have to change what they do
>(just call "addxdgdatadir /the/new/path" or what-have-you),
>we'll just update the tools. this would have the added bonus
>of Getting It Right(tm) without app developers having to do much work.

Hey, that sounds like the kind of simple commandline tools
I've been talking about.

I'm going to go read up on what autopackage does to get into menus...
much as autopackage rubs me totally the wrong way, Mike
solved some real problems along the way.
- Dan