[Portland] Summarize current plan?

Lubos Lunak l.lunak at suse.cz
Mon Mar 13 14:55:04 EET 2006

On Sunday 12 March 2006 22:53, Jeremy White wrote:
> I have to say that this design freaks me out to some
> extent.  (Now I've browsed the archives, but I'm probably
> still missing some historical background, so forgive me
> if this is just ignorance).
>
> But it seems to me that the daemon approach is required
> in order to solve some hard problems (not sure I know what
> they are; my eyes glazed over as I read the VFS thread,
> but I trust you guys that we need it).  I also see
> that it could be handy from an extensibility standpoint.
>
> But I could write a simple static library to make a menu
> *right now*, and it wouldn't need a deamon or anything
> else; it should work on any XDG compliant window manager.
>
> Note that this is possible because I think the menu-spec
> is a nice spec - simple, sweet, and functional.
>
> I guess I'm surprised that dapi can't be like that;
> a very basic library that I can statically link in
> and magically gain the ability to make a menu.
> I could accept that I might have to add some complexity
> (like bundle a daemon) if I wanted to get fancy,
> but why can't I just have an easy way to make my
> menu appear?

 You can and you or anybody else are free to work on that, it's just that this
is not the point of DAPI. Installing a menu entry is fairly simple, you just
read the spec and basically just put a .desktop file somewhere as the spec
says. It's supposed to work with any desktop and you in fact don't even need
a desktop running at the install time.

 The API is about things that cannot be done so easily, either because they're
not standardized or because they'd be too complicated this way.

--
Lubos Lunak
KDE developer
SuSE CR, s.r.o.  e-mail: l.lunak at suse.cz , l.lunak at kde.org