[Portland] Summarize current plan?

Kevin Krammer kevin.krammer at gmx.at
Mon Mar 13 19:16:36 EET 2006

On Monday 13 March 2006 16:02, Dan Kegel wrote:
> On 3/13/06, Kevin Krammer <kevin.krammer at gmx.at> wrote:
> > if I understand correctly, it would be feasible from the ISVs point of
> > view to do some of the portland integration tasks through commandline
> > applications/shell scripts, at least as a short and medium term solution.
>
> Yes, that's exactly what I'm talking about.
>
> > I ask because quite a number of the listed integration tasks can be done
> > with commandline tools on KDE and I assume on other desktops as well (or
> > can be added if not available yet)
> >
> > Let me give an example:
> > as documented on http://freedesktop.org/wiki/PortlandTaskOpenURL it can
> > be done on GNOME using gnome-open and on KDE using kfmclient
>
> Exactly.  And
> http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/PortlandTaskOpenURL
> even mentions these as existing solutions.  People have been
> complaining about having to pick between these two years
> (see http://my.opera.com/community/forums/topic.dml?id=83890,
> http://developer.osdl.org/dev/dtl/docs/PortingToLinuxWebinar-08-2005.pdf)

Interesting reads. I will examine the second one deeper later on tonight.

> > If we provided a wrapper script, for example named xdg-open, which
> > "detects" the DE and delegates the parameters to the respective tools,
> > would that be more to your liking?
>
> Exactly.  Can you submit an initial implementation?

Yes, I was basically volunteering to do it :)

> > P.S.: a rather limited overview of KDE's commandline clients can be found
> > in a presentation I did last year for a local Linux event.
> > http://www.sbox.tugraz.at/home/v/voyager/scriptingkde/
>
> Thanks.  Do you know of any other overviews, e.g. for gnome?

Unfortunately not.

Our (KDE's) tools are not or only badly documented either. I am afraid this is
a shortcoming we should have worked on earlier.

Cheers,
Kevin

--
Kevin Krammer <kevin.krammer at gmx.at>