[Portland] Summarize current plan?

Dan Kegel dank at kegel.com
Mon Mar 13 17:02:33 EET 2006

On 3/13/06, Kevin Krammer <kevin.krammer at gmx.at> wrote:
> if I understand correctly, it would be feasible from the ISVs point of view to
> do some of the portland integration tasks through commandline
> applications/shell scripts, at least as a short and medium term solution.

Yes, that's exactly what I'm talking about.

> I ask because quite a number of the listed integration tasks can be done with
> commandline tools on KDE and I assume on other desktops as well (or can be
> added if not available yet)
>
> Let me give an example:
> as documented on http://freedesktop.org/wiki/PortlandTaskOpenURL it can be
> done on GNOME using gnome-open and on KDE using kfmclient

Exactly.  And
http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/PortlandTaskOpenURL
even mentions these as existing solutions.  People have been
complaining about having to pick between these two years
(see http://my.opera.com/community/forums/topic.dml?id=83890,
http://developer.osdl.org/dev/dtl/docs/PortingToLinuxWebinar-08-2005.pdf)

> If we provided a wrapper script, for example named xdg-open, which "detects"
> the DE and delegates the parameters to the respective tools, would that be
> more to your liking?

Exactly.  Can you submit an initial implementation?

> P.S.: a rather limited overview of KDE's commandline clients can be found in a
> presentation I did last year for a local Linux event.
> http://www.sbox.tugraz.at/home/v/voyager/scriptingkde/

Thanks.  Do you know of any other overviews, e.g. for gnome?
- Dan