[Portland] Summarize current plan?

Kevin Krammer kevin.krammer at gmx.at
Tue Mar 14 15:28:30 EET 2006

On Tuesday 14 March 2006 13:31, Lubos Lunak wrote:
> On Monday 13 March 2006 15:29, Jeremy White wrote:

[...]

> > Finally, to give you some perspective of how this feels to me:
> > in December, I took away that someone was going to document the
> > standards in trivial things like opening URLs, and then we were
> > going to write some simple scripts.  Like, for example,
> >   xdg-open-url [--new-window] url
> >
> > Wow!  How nice would that be!  One line of code!  My web browser
> > integration needs are done in 15 minutes!
>
>  Nobody's stopping you. Or anybody else. Maybe it's rather you who doesn't
> get it? Things will happen only after somebody makes them happen. Just
> because I've chosen one way to solve the problem and started working on
> that doesn't mean it's the Only True Way(TM).

Guys, I know we technical people like flamewars, but this one seems a little
out of place.

I think we can agree that

- there is more than one possible solution
- wrapper scripts are a short term solution, but more like a workaround than a
fix
- a well established API is more effort, thus a medium to long term solution,
but an actual fix rather than a hack

I hope we can also come to a mutual understanding on this:

- we DE developers should provide help regarding the wrapper script approach

- the ISVs should stay around to provide feedback on the API approach even
after the wrapper scripts are available

In both cases there is no "must do". If some DE developers decide to work
solely on one approach this still helps to improve the situation, if some
ISVs are fully satisfied with the wrapper scripts, they can opt to leave the
joined operation.

On the DE developers side I will continue to work on both within my
capabilties and I am pretty confident that at least some ISVs long for a
better integration than just scripts.

So, lets have a productive week and move flaming to slashdot, ok? :)

Cheers,
Kevin

--
Kevin Krammer <kevin.krammer at gmx.at>