[Portland] Summarize current plan?

Bryce Harrington bryce at osdl.org
Tue Mar 14 19:40:58 EET 2006

On Tue, Mar 14, 2006 at 02:28:30PM +0100, Kevin Krammer wrote:
> > > Wow!  How nice would that be!  One line of code!  My web browser
> >  Nobody's stopping you. Or anybody else. Maybe it's rather you who doesn't
>
> Guys, I know we technical people like flamewars, but this one seems a little
> out of place.

Agreed, yes civility is quite important, given the wide cross section we
have here.  :-)

> I think we can agree that
>
> - there is more than one possible solution
> - wrapper scripts are a short term solution, but more like a workaround than a
> fix
> - a well established API is more effort, thus a medium to long term solution,
> but an actual fix rather than a hack

Hopefully at some point a single solution can gain a strong concensus.
Clearly we're not near there yet, but given the good work done so far it
looks like the challenge won't be implementation but just in gaining
agreements on key items.

> I hope we can also come to a mutual understanding on this:
>
> - we DE developers should provide help regarding the wrapper script approach
>
> - the ISVs should stay around to provide feedback on the API approach even
> after the wrapper scripts are available
>
> In both cases there is no "must do". If some DE developers decide to work
> solely on one approach this still helps to improve the situation, if some
> ISVs are fully satisfied with the wrapper scripts, they can opt to leave the
> joined operation.

I'm equally interested in testing out both approaches, and hope to
eventually contribute to both.

Bryce