[Portland] Current plan summarized

Lubos Lunak l.lunak at suse.cz
Tue Mar 14 23:11:49 EET 2006

On Tuesday 14 March 2006 21:46, Bastian, Waldo wrote:
> I have summarized the current thinking around Portland on
> http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Portland
>

> Please speak up if you disagree with any of the statements, would like
> to see them clearified or if you would like to see specific additional
> issues addressed on that page.

"The Interface Library may provide fallback provisions in case a target system
does not provide the IPC protocol and/or the required desktop services.
Application developers are NOT supposed to include a desktop services
implementation along with their application as fallback."

 That's still an open question [*]. My current plan is to go with a fallback
daemon.

 Maybe also "Portland intends to deliver two sets of interfaces." should be
reworded to rather say something along the lines of "that's the plan for now
but if you have a better idea nobody's stopping you".

[*] - http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/portland/2006-February/000163.html

--
Lubos Lunak
KDE developer