[Portland] Proposal - desktop-integration-utils

Kevin Krammer kevin.krammer at gmx.at
Wed Mar 15 14:01:35 EET 2006

On Tuesday 14 March 2006 20:46, Jeremy White wrote:
> I would like to propose that we take Kevin's work, add
> a few more scripts, and publish it to the world.
>
> I think we should publish it on www.freedesktop.org
> as a package called 'desktop-integration-utils'
> (in parallel with desktop-file-utils).

Referring to one of our other mails about namespacing:
It might be better to use a different prefix than "xdg-" so there is a
difference between scripts that work on freedesktop.org specifictions or
"standards" and scripts that unify access to tools provided by the DEs.

Should a specification arrive for one of the problems solved by the scripts,
it can be implemented in program with "xdg-" prefix without requiring full
parameter compatability.

The wrapper script can then just handle this new tools in one of its cases and
slowly deprecate the others.

> In addition to the utilities already written, we
> should write shells for the remaining items
> on the short term integration tasks.
>
> It should be released under a license such that anyone
> can use it in any way they like (ISVs, distros, etc).

Since they are external executables, would ISVs find a GPL like licence stil
too restrictive?

Cheers,
Kevin

--