[Portland] Proposal - desktop-integration-utils

Dan Kegel dank at kegel.com
Wed Mar 15 17:24:16 EET 2006

On 3/15/06, Kevin Krammer <kevin.krammer at gmx.at> wrote:
> Referring to one of our other mails about namespacing:
> It might be better to use a different prefix than "xdg-" so there is a
> difference between scripts that work on freedesktop.org specifictions or
> "standards" and scripts that unify access to tools provided by the DEs.

Our scripts will *define* part of a freedesktop.org spec, I think.
So I think it's fine to make this part of desktop-file-utils.
(BTW, the doc for desktop-file-utils is really sketchy; see
http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/desktop-file-utils and
http://webcvs.freedesktop.org/menus/desktop-file-utils/README?rev=1.3
If we do even a half-assed job of specifying what our scripts do,
they will be a welcome addition to that package, I bet.

> Since they are external executables, would ISVs find a GPL like licence still
> too restrictive?

Nah.  GPL is probably fine.  (That's the license currently used by
desktop-file-utils.)
- Dan