[Portland] xdg-utils proof of concept

Bastian, Waldo waldo.bastian at intel.com
Thu Mar 16 00:50:55 EET 2006

>On Wednesday 15 March 2006 21:49, Jeremy White wrote:
>> >  PS: You scripts people should perhaps hurry up a bit, because if
you
>> > don't, I may be fully ready even before you, including wrapper
scripts
>;)
>> > .
>>
>> Dang nab you; you managed to goad me into hurrying (and my day job is
>> going to suffer, I can tell :-/) <grin>.
>>
>> So here is a first cut of an 'xdg-utils' package.
>>
>> I'm attaching the explanatory README to this email; the 25K tar ball
can
>> be downloaded here:
>>   http://www.codeweavers.com/~jwhite/xdg-utils.tar.bz2
>>
>> I went very fast and loose so I'm sure it has lots of problems,
>> but this at least demonstrates my thinking.
>
>I like the idea to "build" the scripts and have common code included by
>this
>rather then duplicating it.
>
>One comment regarding the documentation though:
>xdg-open-url will open the given entity in the preferred application,
which
>is, depending on protocol and MIME type, not necessarily a browser.
>
>xdg-open-url README
>
>opens it in KWrite, independent of the "detected" desktop. (minimum
GNOME
>installation, it would very likely use a GNOME text editor if there
were
>one available)

Application preferences are (so far) handled differently by the two
desktop environments, so the result should dependent on the "detected"
desktop.

This is not an issue if there is only one application associated with a
certain MIME type, but if there is more than one application the two
environments may have different ideas about the "default application"
for that particular MIME type.

Cheers,
Waldo