[Portland] xdg-utils proof of concept

Kevin Krammer kevin.krammer at gmx.at
Thu Mar 16 21:46:06 EET 2006

On Wednesday 15 March 2006 23:50, Bastian, Waldo wrote:

[...]

> >One comment regarding the documentation though:
> >xdg-open-url will open the given entity in the preferred application,
>
> which
>
> >is, depending on protocol and MIME type, not necessarily a browser.
> >
> >xdg-open-url README
> >
> >opens it in KWrite, independent of the "detected" desktop. (minimum
>
> GNOME
>
> >installation, it would very likely use a GNOME text editor if there
>
> were
>
> >one available)
>
> Application preferences are (so far) handled differently by the two
> desktop environments, so the result should dependent on the "detected"
> desktop.
>
> This is not an issue if there is only one application associated with a
> certain MIME type, but if there is more than one application the two
> environments may have different ideas about the "default application"
> for that particular MIME type.

Hmm, I think there is a misunderstanding.

My point is that the description "opens browser" is misleading as it will open
the default handler for the given URL, which is not necessarily a browser as
illustrated with the README (plain text file).

Cheers,
Kevin

--
Kevin Krammer <kevin.krammer at gmx.at>