[Portland] Portland design

Karol Pietrzak kap4020 at rit.edu
Wed Mar 29 09:27:12 EEST 2006

On Wednesday 29 March 2006 01:04, Waldo Bastian wrote:
> I have tried to capture the open design questions with regard to Portland /
> DAPI on http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/PortlandOpenQuestions
>
> Please provide feedback, either here or by editing the wiki directly
> yourself.

Looks great!  I actually didn't follow the discussion on DAPI too closely here
on this mailing list, and your document was great in explaining to me what I
had missed.

A question, though (to whom it may concern):
"For IPC either DBUS or a custom protocol can be used."

Would it be possible to simply _include_ DBUS into the library instead of
creating a custom protocol?  Staticly linking it would be possible, or, even
better, including a shared library.   Would it be possible to test whether
DBUS exists on the host system, and if not, then fallback to the included
shared library?

On a related note, SuSE Linux 10.0 x86 installs dbus in the default install.

--
Karl Pietrzak
kap4020 at rit.edu