[Portland] xdg-menu

Waldo Bastian Waldo.Bastian at intel.com
Wed Mar 29 09:50:17 EEST 2006

I wanted to add a manpage for the xdg-menu tool, and while I was doing that I
thought it may be useful to do some changes in the process. I have only made
the manpage so far, I would like to get some feedback first before I waste
time on changing the actual script.

Changes include:

* Renamed --root to --system. Even though you probably need to be root to use
this option, --root doesn't correctly describe the purpose of the option
IMHO.

* Renamed --create/--delete to --install/--remove. My first impression after
reading "--create" was that it would make a .desktop file for me. Maybe it
should be --install / --uninstall even?

* The menu spec makes it possible to install sub-menus if you provide a *.menu
file and a *.directory file. In order to use it, xdg-menu should be able to
install those files.

* Added a --noupdate option. If a cache requires manual rebuilding at install
time, we should be able to do that only once at the end if we install
multiple files.

* Added a --forceupdate option. If you add files in a for-loop it may be
impractical to include --noupdate in everyone but the last call. This allows
you to include --noupdate in all of them and then do a xdg-menu --forceupdate
after the for loop.

Cheers,
Waldo
--
Linux Client Architect - Channel Platform Solutions Group - Intel Corporation