[Portland] xdg-menu

Jeremy White jwhite at codeweavers.com
Wed Mar 29 16:14:08 EEST 2006

Great!  This is much appreciated!

> * Renamed --root to --system. Even though you probably need to be root to use
> this option, --root doesn't correctly describe the purpose of the option
> IMHO.
>
> * Renamed --create/--delete to --install/--remove. My first impression after
> reading "--create" was that it would make a .desktop file for me. Maybe it
> should be --install / --uninstall even?

Both fine with me; I suck at naming :-/.

> * The menu spec makes it possible to install sub-menus if you provide a *.menu
> file and a *.directory file. In order to use it, xdg-menu should be able to
> install those files.

Great.

> * Added a --noupdate option. If a cache requires manual rebuilding at install
> time, we should be able to do that only once at the end if we install
> multiple files.
>
> * Added a --forceupdate option. If you add files in a for-loop it may be
> impractical to include --noupdate in everyone but the last call. This allows
> you to include --noupdate in all of them and then do a xdg-menu --forceupdate
> after the for loop.

Sure; those look like reasonable choices.

But I have one favor to ask; you've implied that there is
a cache update of some kind that you intend to run by default.

And yet, afaik, there is no such documented call or interface
anywhere useful on a Desktop spec site.

So, imo, the spec (or some other credible point of documentation) should
be changed to specify that is a requisite step in creating a menu
(I'm thinking particularly of appendix C of the menu-spec).

Cheers,

Jeremy