[Portland] Bonobo/KParts interoperability

Maxim Udushlivy maxim.udushlivy at gmail.com
Mon May 8 10:07:44 PDT 2006

Maxim Udushlivy wrote:
> Bastian, Waldo wrote:
>> Somewhere in KDE CVS lives a component embedding thingy called Xparts.
>> It's inspired by Kparts but uses Xembed I believe. It might be worth
>> taking a look at that and see if it's usable as-is or what would need to
>> be changed for it to be usable as a cross toolkit component model.
>> See http://dot.kde.org/977406679/ for the original announcement.
>>
>> Waldo Bastian
>> Linux Client Architect - Client Linux Foundation Technology
>> Channel Platform Solutions Group
>> Intel Corporation - http://www.intel.com/go/linux
>> OSDL DTL Tech Board Chairman
>>
> Yes, a technology for toolkit-independent embedding of GUI controls,
> but not a component model.

XParts announcement has broken links but the pages are available here
(thanks to archive.org):
http://web.archive.org/web/20050214225753/http://trolls.troll.no/lars/xparts/doc/xparts.html
http://web.archive.org/web/20011031144322/http://trolls.troll.no/~lars/xparts/
XParts is an asymmetrical, one-way embedding.

Portland Embedding should be symmetrical (and thus neutral) to all
parties and avoid hand-coded proxy containers (like KXPartsHost in
XParts and "special controls" in my first guess:
http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/portland/2006-May/000435.html).

A new DBus-based embedding may serve now as a bridge between existing
incompatible embedding technologies...
http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/portland/2006-May/000436.html
...but evolve into something bigger in the future (e.g. exposing plain
widgets for embedding automatically by means of introspection)